November has come to a close and I cannot help but think how quickly this semester has gone. I came to the University of Nevada, Las Vegas with an open mind, clear of predictions of what I might encounter in the Higher Education Master’s program. Today I am proud to say I decided to come to the second most diverse school in the nation to make new friends, colleagues, and experiences that have impacted me for the better. Even though November is over, I would like to officially conclude my thanks with the folks who continue to inspire me each day in this desert valley.
- The coaches at the Academic Success Center:
- Of course my students keep me inspired to be a Higher Education professional, but this shout-out goes to my fellow ten coaches and coordinator. If I ever have a question, feel sick, or have the need for karaoke, you’d better bet these folks have my back. I am so honored to work in such a supportive environment where my past experiences as an education major are valued. Thank you all for your peace, love, and support this semester!
- The Master’s and Ph.D. students in the Higher Education Program:
- Coming into our non-cohort, cohort I did not know what to expect. Would I make the same relationships I had seen at other cohort-styled programs? Would I feel wanted in this department? Fortunately, the answer to these questions is a giant “YES!” As I said before I intentionally tried to clear my mind of any presumptions before arriving at UNLV. I am glad to say I found my “right fit” school and I have made UNLV my temporary home on my path to becoming a student affairs educator. Everyone I have met in the Higher Education program has been so welcoming and warmhearted. I am proud to be among such a passionate group of individuals who want to make a change and an impact at UNLV, and beyond graduation.
- National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH):
- To my fellow diamond-lovers in NRHH, thank you for accepting me as the crazy mooseloving, NACURH-loving individual I am. Coming to UNLV, I was hesitant to get involved in RHA and NRHH because of how heavily involved I was during my undergrad. I am not a GA in housing and, to be honest, I did not know how I was going to transition. You all have provided me with a familiar home-away-from-home and for that I thank you all for your spirit and enthusiasm.
- The Star of Nevada Marching Band:
- One of the most special opportunities I have had at UNLV has been the opportunity to twirl with the Star of Nevada Marching Band every Monday, Thursday, Friday, and home-game Saturdays. I was elated when I sent in my audition materials and was selected as the Feature Twirler, but this title means nothing without a “golden” band family. From jazz runs to singing the fight song at the top of our lungs, thank you all for accepting me into the band family. You have no idea how much being in band means to me and I am so excited for my last season next year!