by Olivia Miller
Hello! My name is Olivia Miller and I am excited to begin writing weekly for Student Affairs First Years! For the past few months I have been reading what others have written and am happy to contribute thoughts, quotes, and some inspiration to all of you. In order to paint a picture of me, I have compiled 24 things about myself – 24 because that is my favorite number and because I am turning 24 on July 8th.
Recently I wrote about my 1st birthday in Student Affairs (I promise birthdays are not going to be an ongoing theme in my posts). To recap, I am starting my second year in the Counseling and College Student Development program at Kansas State University and also am pursuing the Academic Advising certificate. I work at K-State’s Academic & Career Information Center (ACIC), where I help students determine their passions and find what major and career path best fits them. This year I will be teaching our career planning course for the fourth time as well as completing our two required practicums in my graduate program. I am excited and nervous about this school year, a lot is going to happen in a short amount of time and then I will graduate on Friday the 13th – which I still have not decided if that is a good sign or me being paranoid.
With that all being said, here are 24 things about me. I look forward to hearing and connecting with you!
- I have lived in Kansas my whole life, but hopefully that will change after graduation.
- My favorite color is blue.
- I do not like chocolate or coffee, but I do like spinach and broccoli.
- I took Latin and German in high school, dropped my German minor twice in undergrad and took eight-week courses in French and Polish.
- Last summer I interned with the National Archives in Kansas City, MO; I loved getting to see history (like Brown v. Board of Education documents) up close.
- Fall is my favorite season, and I have two trees on campus designated as my favorites due to their color.
- I have kept a quote journal since senior year of high school.
- I would love to join the Peace Corps one day, but I am not sure I am confident enough to do it.
- I started spring break this year by attending my first Comic Con, where I met Amy Pond herself, and later that day met the band Parachute.
- My love language is words of affirmation, and I save almost every note.
- I am an ISFJ, Cancer Crab and have Empathy and Developer in my top strengths – helping people is what I was born to do.
- When I am tired or bored I twirl my hair.
- My spirit animal would be a dolphin; I love the ocean.
- Singing while doing the dishes is one my favorite parts of the day.
- Family traditions are very important to me, which makes Christmas and Easter my favorite holidays.
- I do not like having Happy Birthday sung to me, and I get second-hand embarrassment in restaurants during servers’ routines for others.
- I love watching TV; my top shows to watch are Brooklyn 99, Madam Secretary and Jane the Virgin.
- I have not seen any Marvel movie in its entirety, but watched every episode of Agent Carter - “I know my value. Anyone else’s opinion doesn’t really matter.”
- I worked at Bath & Body Works during undergrad and still think Juniper Breeze is the best scent.
- I love reading, especially historical fiction and biographies.
- My sisters and I finally are getting to see Taylor Swift in concert this October.
- I cannot fall asleep without listening to music.
- All This Time by One Republic is my favorite song, with 5,478 plays on iTunes.
- If I were a fictional character I would be a mix of Hermione Granger, Amy Santiago, Betty Suarez and Leslie Knope – just not near as cool or confident (but Type A people-pleaser I have down).